Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Landon goes to the CrossFit Games


Landon is 7 weeks old today, and he's already started traveling the world. Two weeks ago, we packed (a lot!) and headed out to California to watch my mom, Shelley Noyce, compete in the 55-59 masters division at the CrossFit Games. Landon was a little trooper the whole trip and slept right through every flight (with his dad and uncle), as well as most of the competition.


As you would expect, the spectators at the CrossFit Games are a fit crowd, including a lot of pregnant women and new moms. I always think it seems like there are more pregnant women at CrossFit events than other places, and the Games was no exception. The age demographic of many crossfitters probably has something to do with it, but my theories are that (1) crossfitters are generally healthier and more fertile than the rest of the population, and (2) there isn't as much "is she pregnant or fat?" speculation. In any event, I assume many of these women are continuing to do crossfit throughout their pregnancies, which I hope may eventually help change the accepted recommendations about what women should / should not do during pregnancy.

Go, Grandma!




Crossfitters much more influential than I am are leading by example. Heather Bergeron competed with her team, CrossFit New England, this year just 9 weeks after delivering her son on May 11. Here she talks about CrossFit and pregnancy. I completely agree with everything Heather says in the video, especially about diet and nutrition while pregnant. Mainly, it's not any harder to eat healthy when you're pregnant than when you're not pregnant! And it's more important than ever to do so.






Seeing Heather ready for competition at that level so quick after having her son (is insane and) motivated me to get after it when we returned from California. So I've been taking advantage of not having to go back to work until August and spending more time at the gym. Luckily, Landon loves hanging out with all his friends at CrossFit 515 and has no problem sleeping through the loud music and weights dropping.










In the past week, I power cleaned 135# (PR is 145#) and squat snatched 100# (PR is 110#), and I feel like I'm able to push harder through workouts. I'm back to loving burpees, but running and box jumps (which used to be strengths of mine) have gone way down hill. I've attempted muscle ups a couple times ... but failed. I still have a ways to go to be where I was pre-pregnancy, and while it's frustrating, it's also kinda fun seeing a lot of progress quickly, like being new to CrossFit all over again.

Here's a video of me doing an online competition workout, CrossFit Believe online competition "unbroken wod":

For Time: (all must be unbroken)
50 Double Unders
40 Deadlifts (95#))
30 KB Swings (35#)
20 Pull-ups
10 Front Squats (95#)

My time - 4:28




1 comment:

  1. "is she pregnant or fat?" lol love it! I'm 37.5 weeks and still crossfitting 3-4 days a week, definitely scaling though. I wish I could be there everyday like Heather Bergeron; guess I'm not training for the games though :) Love reading your posts, thanks!

    ReplyDelete