Monday, January 30, 2012

23 weeks ... PR, Baby!

My morning went something like this: 

23 weeks

9:00-11:00 a.m. - I switched offices at work from the 4th floor to the 1st floor.  Several 40-50+ year old women, most of them quite out of shape, offered to help with the oh-so strenuous task of moving some books, notepads, and stacks of paper onto a cart, wheeling the cart onto the elevator and to my new office, and removing those items from the cart.  I assured them that, although I know I look extremely fragile, I could handle it on my own, to which I was told "your back will hurt enough during pregnancy, you don't need to be lifting and moving a bunch of heavy things," and "you really shouldn't be bending down and picking things up."  Shockingly, I was able manage the move on my own, and just to prove how badass I am, at one point I even picked up 4 books off the shelf AT THE SAME TIME. 

12:00 p.m. - Noon class at CrossFit 515.  Max Clean & Jerk - 140# (PR by 5#).  I had cleaned 145# (on 8/28/11 and 10/30/11) and jerked 145# (on 9/19/11), but my max C&J had been 135# since June 27, 2011.  My plan was to stop at 135#, but that felt fairly easy, so I had to go for the PR.  I failed on the jerk on my first attempt at 140#, but my second attempt went up without much struggle.  I did resist the urge to go for 145#. 

Then, 3 minute amrap of 65# clean & jerks -- 44 reps 

A couple side notes:

First, there are only a few lifts that I personally feel comfortable still working up to a max, including power cleans, power snatches, anything shoulders to overhead (i.e. jerks), and bench.  Maxing out on deadlift is too much straining (I almost always get light-headed anyway on max deadlift ... and I figure lack of oxygen to me probably = lack to oxygen to baby), and squatting makes me nervous because your ligaments become looser during pregnancy (as in nervous I will injure myself, not that it would hurt the baby).  I'm much more careful and conscious of my form now, but I'm sure I'll get to the point fairly soon where my belly is so big that it's impossible to have descent clean or snatch form, at which point I would not go for a max. 

Second, offering to help a pregnant lady - with pretty much anything - is usually the right thing to do.  I realize it was very nice of these women to offer to help me move my "heavy" things.  And, although it's annoying, I get a lot of amusement out of the comments about what I should and shouldn't be doing when it comes to working out and lifting.  This is why I do not share the details of my workouts with non-crossfitters.

Max Clean & Jerk history:
9/2/10 - 95#
10/15/10 - 110#
2/13/11 - 120#
6/17/11 - 135#
12/2/11 (15 weeks pregnant) - 135#
1/30/12 (23 weeks pregnant) - 140#

117 days to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment